Meat is nice but definitely unsustainable. Instead of buying poopy products at the store, it's better to make your own delish ingredient substitutes for your favorite dishes that won't be available in a few years.
works well in sushi / sea dishes.
- 20 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 qts. peanut oil for frying
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 tsp. peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced
- 3 Tbsp. scallions, sliced thin on a bias
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water until tender.
- With scissors, cut the mushroom caps into earthworm-shaped strips.
- Heat the 2 qts. peanut oil to 190°C.
- Coat the shiitake strips with cornstarch and fry until golden. Let drain as you prepare the sauce.
- Heat a wok over medium heat and add the 1 tsp. peanut oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and scallions and cook, being careful not to burn the garlic and ginger.
- Add the soy sauce and the sugar. Adjust the flavor if too sweet or too salty.
- Add the shiitake strips and toss until well coated and most of the sauce is absorbed.
Vacon (vegan bacon)
- rice paper, cut into approx. 2.5 cm wide strips with a pair of kitchen scissors. You don't have to be mega precise
- For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce (use soy sauce alternatively)
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- dash grinded pepper
- 1/2 glass of water
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- dash of olive oil
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and leave aside.
- fill a small bowl with some warm water and start soaking a double layer of strips for a few seconds into it. You will notice it will go soggy very soon, Lift it and squeeze the extra water between your fingers.
- Place the strips in the marinade and prepare a non stick frying pan on a medium low heat with some oilve oil in it.
- Fry the strips by working them with two forks or tongs to turn them on the other side and stretch them a little to achieve an irregular shape.
- Once happy with the cooking, place on some kitchen towel to absorb the extra fat.